Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Flapper Costume

  1. #1
    Inactive Member AGPixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2005
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Has anyone ordered this item yet? It looks like it could be very cute...I'm wondering about fabric quality, etc.

    I have considered getting this, and also buying Kit at some point...I think it would look adorable since they would be in the same era.

    (I also hate to admit it, but the flapper's purple gloves almost immediately made me think of Miss Piggy...anyone else thought about that? )

  2. #2
    Inactive Member americangirlsrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2004
    Posts
    221
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I didn't think of Miss Piggy, but now that you metioned it, I probably will every time I look at them!

    I do have the outfit, and I have it on Kit! I can post a picture if you'd like. I am always satisfied with the quality of AG items, I don't think any other company offers the same quality outfits and accessories~ some, though, are more fragile than others. The feather for a younger child may pose a problem, but other than that it's great!!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member AGPixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2005
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A picture would be much appreciated if it isn't too much trouble...thanks for offering!

    Sounds like great minds think alike! [img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member jrtmom3274's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 13th, 2004
    Posts
    800
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'd love to see a picture of this on Kit, and I'd also like to see it on Lindsey! I have a picture of my great-grandmother from the day she married Grandpa. She was sixteen and dressed in a flapper style dress with the headband and all. Her hair was styled just like my Lindsey's (which is curly but doesn't have the flip some Lindsey's have).
    Heather

  5. #5
    Inactive Member lscogbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    713
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I bought this, but stored it away for Halloween for my personal Felicity. It's really cute and I highly recommend it - especially for an older collector like yourself. I think the feather and the fringe might not hold up in DD's hands. The gloves are more lavenderish and less Miss Piggy pink in real life. Of course if you don't like them, you could take them off or get some Rit and dye them another color. And I'm sure somewhere there are some white gloves out there. BUY BUY BUY!!!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Ima AG Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 6th, 2003
    Posts
    96
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Not picking a fight, AT ALL, but I really hate this outfit. Do you know what a 20's Flapper was? They were women who ran around with guys and were basically what saloon girls were, just there to be bought. I don't think I would want to put my duaghter or doll in an outfit with that kind of history.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member only1genevieve's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 2005
    Posts
    483
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmm, I'm sure there were plenty of girls who dressed in flappers dresses without being bad. That was the fashion for young women back then. You can't blanket them all with the "evil bad loose women" tag. I myself get dressed up to go clubbing, typically wearing a dress very similar (in a modern way) to a flapper dress, but I have never gotten drunk (I don't drink at all, actually, I don't like putting myself at risk), gone home with or even gone out with a guy I met at a club. Mostly, it's for fun and dancing.

    I personally think the outfit is pretty cute, but I have a lot of "costume" type outfits right now, so it's not too high on my list of wants.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member dornroeschen's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2004
    Posts
    1,053
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Found an interesting page about Flapper Fashion and thought I'd share it with you.

    I'm sure someone posted the fashion-era homepage before in a different context - great resources.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member americangirlsrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2004
    Posts
    221
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here is Kit as a Flapper Girl. Enjoy, one problem with the little feather is this humidity is causing it to be a little droopy! [img]frown.gif[/img]

    Still I think she looks cute! [img]smile.gif[/img]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member lscogbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    713
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by stepshigh:
    Not picking a fight, AT ALL, but I really hate this outfit. Do you know what a 20's Flapper was? They were women who ran around with guys and were basically what saloon girls were, just there to be bought. I don't think I would want to put my duaghter or doll in an outfit with that kind of history.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's not exactly true. While I'm sure there were some girls who did so, it was a style perpetuated by young girls. The country was just coming out of World War I and had not entered the Great Depresion yet. Many Americans were "carefree" and celebrated. It would be the same as saying that every girl who wore a miniskirt in the 1960s was a pole dancer or that every girl who wore long hair in the 1970s was a druggie at Haight. It's just a fashion statement, not a way of life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •